The Professional Specialization Certificate in Teaching French Immersion (PSC in TFI) is a 6.0 unit credit program for in-service and pre-service teachers interested in teaching French immersion. It is administered by Continuing Studies in cooperation with the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Faculty of Education, and the Department of French at the University of Victoria.
In this specialized French teaching environment, you'll acquire the linguistic and second-language teaching skills, methodological knowledge and French language fluency to be highly effective in teaching French immersion.
The PSC in TFI:
- provides a rigorous, accredited training program and certificate to native speakers of French and to teachers who aspire to be native-like speakers of French
- provides language assessment and career preparation for practicing teachers interested in teaching in Immersion
- enables you to advance your theoretical knowledge and practical skills in teaching in the French immersion context
- heightens your awareness and knowledge of the necessity to continue to address your own language limitations;
- provides you with the linguistic, cultural and attitudinal tools to move ahead in your profession.
Hear what past students have to say:
I feel that this program has provided my with the ‘missing’ piece that I was looking for in my role as a French Immersion teacher.Danielle Hall, PSC in TFI graduate (2012)
The certificate consists of four courses. Two are delivered online during the fall and spring terms and two take place in the summer at the University of Victoria campus.
You'll need a pre-admission fluency (oral and written) assessment in order to be admitted to the program. The assessment is offered twice a year—in May and November—on the University of Victoria campus or by distance. We use the TFI - Test de Français International. The assessment test costs $95 plus GST, and takes approx. two hours. Please contact us for more information.
You are required to complete the four courses below to earn the Professional Specialization Certificate:
- Modern French
- Organization and Instruction in French Immersion
- Principles of Teaching French Immersion
- Designs for Learning (in French Immersion)
You must successfully complete all four courses to earn the certificate.