Applying for ELC Programs
We look forward to welcoming you to Victoria and Canada. If you have any questions or concerns during the application process, please contact us.
- Be 18 years of age or older by the program start date
- Meet Canadian Visa requirements
- Buy medical insurance for the duration of the program
- Read, understand and abide by all program guidelines
- Understand the refund policy
- have a basic knowledge of English and successfully complete the ELC's online test.
- be punctual
- attend and participate in classes and social/cultural activities
- speak English at all times
- behave responsibly, and follow the regulations of the University of Victoria
We reserve the right to deny admission and to refuse re-admission to students who do not fulfill the above conditions.
How to Apply
Complete the application form and one Homestay application form (if applicable). Print the forms, enclose fees, and send to us at:
English Language Centre
Division of Continuing Studies
University of Victoria
PO Box 1700 STN CSC
Victoria, BC V8W 2Y2
English Language Centre
University of Victoria
3800 Finnerty Road (Ring Road)
Victoria, BC V8P 5C2
Submit a copy of your passport photo page and the following non-refundable fees with your application form(s).
Please note, we cannot send a Letter of Acceptance before receiving these fees:
CAD$150 Application Fee
- If you apply for more than one program at the same time, you pay the CAD$150 application fee only once
- Returning students applying for future programs pay a reduced application fee of CAD$100
CAD$350 Deposit per program
- This deposit is part of the tuition fee, not an additional cost
CAD$250 UVic Homestay Fee (if applicable)
- Check the application form or Accomodation Options to determine if Homestay is available for your program
- Include a completed Homestay application form (2 pages, with student signature)
Application does not guarantee admission. Apply for programs early, as space is limited. You will receive a Letter of Acceptance once your application form and the fees listed above have been received. Please wait for your Letter of Acceptance before making travel arrangements.
The balance owing (program cost minus $350 deposit) must be paid in full at least 5 weeks before the program start date. If full payment is not received 5 weeks before that date, your registration may be cancelled. There is a late payment charge of $100 if fees are received after the payment deadline date. Full payment can also be made at the time of registration.
NOTE: If you have applied for UVic Homestay, you will receive a letter confirming your request and three weeks before the program begins, you will receive the contact details about your host. You will be expected to contact your host with your arrival details. You will attend a Homestay Orientation during the first week of your program. Before you arrive, we will send you a confirmation letter by email, a schedule of the first week, and a map of the campus.
Applications must include the non-refundable deposit of CAD$350 for each program, and non-refundable application fee of CAD$150. Students applying for Homestay must also include a non-refundable fee of CAD$250 with their application. We cannot send a Letter of Acceptance before these payments have been received. The balance of fees is due 5 weeks before the program start date.
Payments should be made to the University of Victoria. Payments can be made by international money order, bank wire, bank draft, or cheque in Canadian dollars drawn on a Canadian bank.
Credit Card Payment
We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Note that credit cards often have limits on international transactions. Be aware that your payment may be delayed or unsuccessful because of this limit. Check with your bank first.
Bank Wire Payments
When sending a bank wire, please:
- include an additional CAD$20 transaction fee
- specify that the bank wire is for the "English Language Centre"
- write the student's name on the bank wire
- fax a copy of the bank wire to us at +1 (250) 721-8774
Send bank wire to:
Royal Bank of Canada
1079 Douglas Street Victoria, BC
Convert the fees into your currency.
Refund & Transfer Policies
- The application fee, deposits and homestay application fee are nonrefundable.
- No refund of tuition is possible once the program has begun.
- Tuition and dormitory accommodation fees are refundable, less application fees and deposit(s), for registrations cancelled before the program start date.
- If the Canadian Embassy rejects your visa application for a Study Permit, we will refund your $350 deposit, minus courier charges. You must inform us before the program starts. Copies of documentation from the Embassy will be required.
- If your visa is denied and you wish to transfer your $350 deposit to a future program, a $100 transfer fee is charged per program. You must notify us of cancellation or transfer in writing before the program starts. You have one month from the date of cancellation to transfer to another full-time program.
- Students are only permitted to transfer to future programs once. If your visa is denied a second time and you wish to register for a future program, you will need to submit a new application with another deposit and application fee.
- Students already in Canada cannot transfer fees between programs unless there is an emergency situation where students must return home. In these cases, students must provide the English Language Centre with a doctor’s note and proof of a return air ticket to their home country in order to transfer fees to a future program. There is an additional $100 transfer fee and the transfer must be approved by the Director.
- Students may receive a partial refund if they produce a doctor’s note stating they are too ill to continue studying for the remainder of the program.
There is an additional late payment charge of CAD$100 if fees are not received at least one month prior to the program start date.
Program Change / Cancellation Policy
- The English Language Centre reserves the right to make changes in fees, schedules, and courses without notice, and to cancel courses if enrollment is insufficient.
- If a program is cancelled or rescheduled, the liability of the English Language Centre is limited to a refund of the program fee or transfer to another program.
- The English Language Centre reserves the right to establish special regulations for admission to non-degree programs or courses.
Freedom of Information/Protection of Privacy Act
The relevant law for all matters concerning programs shall be the law of the Province of British Columbia, Canada. The English Language Centre collects personal information on its form pursuant to the University act, RSBC 1996, c.468 and section 26 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The information you provide is used for the purposes of admission, registration, and other decisions relating to your program. For details on how the information is used, contact the English Language Centre or read UVic Policy 4400, Access to Student Records.